Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Madeira Wine "Boozy" Marshmallows (Corn/Egg/Cane Sugar/Diary/Grain Free)


I promise....I am NOT a boozer....even though my last few posts might suggest otherwise. I do, however, have a bit of a weakness for using alcohol during the holidays in my recipes. It just gives it that extra special flare. Of the many options, Madeira wine is easily one of my favorites. There are quite a few different options and alcohol ratios available when it comes to Madeira but Blandy's brand is by far my favorite. (Shopping note: Madeira has a slightly higher alcohol content than regular wine so you'll have to buy it at a liquor store.) The one I used here is called "Rainwater", but I also really enjoy their 5 year aged Madeira wine

So with that firmly established, here are my "Boozymallows", just in time for the holidays and let me say, they taste BRILLIANT dipped in dark chocolate! Enjoy.


Madeira Wine "Boozy" Marshmallows

Corn/Egg/Cane Sugar/Diary/Grain Free

Ingredients

8 ounces (1 cup) Madeira Wine reduced to 4 ounces (1/2 cup), see instructions below

4 ounces (1/2 cup) full strength Madeira wine
2 1/2 tablespoons powdered gelatin (I use Grass fed beef gelatin)
1 cup organic honey/maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Arrowroot starch to coat the outsides of the marshmallows

Directions:


Reducing the wine: Pour the 8 ounces (1 cup) of wine into a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Bring the wine to a simmer and reduce the liquid down by half. This will leave you with 4 ounces or 1/2 cup of reduced wine. 


Note: If you have a scale you can start by weighing the pot and setting  the scale to zero. Add 8 ounces of wine than start reducing your wine on the stove stop. Check it periodically by  placing the pot back on the scale. Continue reducing till the scale shows that it has reached 4 ounces. If you reduce it a little too much, just add a little extra wine to bring it back to 4 ounces or 1/2 cup.


Why reduce some of the wine?

The reason for reducing some of the wine is to lower the alcohol content. This is important because too much alcohol will keep the marshmallows from setting properly. Marshmallows can be made with hard liquor as well but generally they can only take about 4 tablespoons per recipe depending on the alcohol ratio.

Once your wine is reduced for the sugar syrup, you can follow the directions as written in my Rustic Homemade Marshmallow recipe. Just replace the 1/2 cup water in the sugar syrup with the reduced wine you just made and 1/2 cup water for blooming the gelatin with the full strength wine.







4 comments:

  1. You are genius. I'm the marshmallow lady at Christmas time. I'm soooo adapting my recipe... Tonight. And if it's a flop, then I'll have an open bottle of wine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, can't wait to try this! Any views on whether I could sub leaf/sheet gelatin for the powdered variety you use? Thanks so much for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely but you will need to know the bloom strength of your gelatin. This gelatin is 225 bloom. I believe gold is 200 bloom as far as leaf gelatin goes. I recommend this article buy David Lebovitz. http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/04/how-to-use-gelatin/

      Delete

ShareThis