Thursday, March 15, 2012

RAW Carrot Cake Balls (Vegan, RAW, Paleo, GAPS)



So I'm not really going to write much here since I know you're all going to "skip to the end' anyway so you can get to the chocolaty CAKE BALL goodness as quickly as possible...and I don't blame you! 


I think that this might be the very first dessert that I made back when I first went gluten and grain free a little over a year ago. It was also the first sweet thing that I'd had in over 4 months....and it was pure heaven. This is of course, a 'revised' version and I am happy to say that it's my favorite one so far. Now that I can have chocolate again (in moderation, of course) it's like the world has color again! 



The dipping chocolate I use for these cake balls is made out of three simple ingredients: coconut oil, raw cocoa and raw honey (and maybe a splash of vanilla). This makes it not only completely raw, but full of good healthy fats and antioxidants, as well as being free of refined sugars. For vegan friendly sweeteners try raw coconut nectar, raw yacon syrup or raw agave.



Also, instead of using a 'juicer' to make the pulp for this recipe (as I did in the old version), I made the juice pulp by hand. The result was MUCH more flavorful with a wonderful texture to boot! However, if you do decide to use your juicer, I recommend adding about 1/2 TBLS or so of the juice back into the pulp when making the cake balls. 


Ok, ENOUGH talk. Let's get cooking! (or NOT in this case)





RAW Carrot Cake Balls (Dipped in RAW chocolate)

Grain Free/Gluten Free/Dairy Free/Vegan/RAW


Ingredients: 

Note: This recipe does not contain exact measurements as veggies and fruits come in all sizes. Use the measurements below as a guide. You just want a ball that holds together. Feel free to experiment with different flavors! I rarely measure this recipe out and that's half the fun!

Makes approx. 10-12 cake balls depending on your ingredients and size of the cake ball

1 Large carrots, peeled
1 large tart apple, cored

1/8 cup or a handful of currants (or chopped raisins)
1/2 cup dried shredded coconut (use more or less as needed to thicken the mix)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp or a pinch of nutmeg, more if you like it!

*1-2 Tbls RAW honey (maple syrup or palm nectar)
*2 Tbls RAW nut butter (almond, pecan, walnut, cashew)

Optional: Raw cacao nibs for decoration

*Note: Depending on your pulp, you may need to use more or less honey/nut butter or more coconut to get the desired texture. Remember go by feel. 

Dipping chocolate

1/4 cup coconut oil
2 Tbls  raw honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
7 Tbls of raw cacao (add another half Tbls for making a drizzle)

OR

1 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate chips melted plus 1/2 teaspoon ghee or palm shortening melted in to help it set faster and keep the chocolate from getting super hard in the freezer.

Directions:

Grate the carrots and the apple, by hand or w/a food processor. Then press out as much juice as possible by using a fine sieve, strainer. Alternately, you can use a nut milk bag or cheese cloth to squeeze out the juice. Originally, I used my juicer for this recipe and they turned out pretty great. However, I have found that there is MUCH more flavor to the cake ball when I make the pulp by hand.

Add the rest of the ingredients, except the cacao nibs or toppings to the carrot/apple pulp. Mix well.

Roll the dough into balls (about 1 Tbls worth of dough)

Chill the cake balls in the freezer for about 30 min.

While the cake balls are chilling prepare the chocolate...

Start with room temperature unrefined coconut oil (it's liquid point is around 76 degrees).  In a small bowl, combine the liquefied coconut oil, vanilla, honey and cocoa. Whisk together until the chocolate is well combined, with no lumps. I like to let the chocolate rest for about 15 min or so to let the cacao absorb well into the oil. 

Using a wood skewer or dipping fork, dip the frozen cake balls into the chocolate. Let some of the chocolate drip off  than allow the chocolate to harden while you hold the stick (it will harden pretty fast), sprinkle a few cocoa nibs or nuts on the top of the cake ball before the top hardens. If you don't  take the time to let some of the chocolate drip off you may not have enough chocolate to finish all the cake balls. They still taste great with a thick coating, but you will have to make extra chocolate sauce. It takes some practice to make your chocolate go far. If practice isn't your thing just make extra chocolate sauce.

Tip: it's common for the chocolate to crack slightly as it hardens. This can be reduced if you leave some space at the bottom of the cake ball without chocolate. That is often where the crack starts. However, if a crack does happen, it is VERY easy to cover it up when you drizzle the chocolate over it later. So don't stress out about that. Can't have chocolate? Don't worry. Just roll the cakes balls in shredded dried coconut or crushed nuts before chilling them.

Decorating:

For the chocolate drizzle, make the same chocolate recipe as above, but add 1/2-1 Tbls more of raw cacao. This will make it a bit thicker. Using a spoon or a 'candy making' squeeze bottle (get it at any craft store) drizzle the chocolate in thin lines over the cake ball.

Cake balls should be kept chilled in the freezer for best results. Take them out about 5 min before serving. They should be fine for about 15 min before starting to soften too much. At that point, the coconut oil will become liquid (at around 76 degrees) and the chocolate will begin to melt.

I have also kept these in the fridge, producing a much softer cake ball. They taste great this way, the only downside is they DO melt in your hand as well as in your mouth.

34 comments:

  1. These were delicious! The only problem I ran into was that there wasn't enough chocolate to cover. I had to make a double amount of it. Otherwise, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, these look good and very versatile! I love anything 'bar or ball like' that i can snack on at all times of the day! Lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowww...What a great Idea..I like how to put them in the egg tray...so cute. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! Such delicious treats, they don't look like they are raw!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenni,
    AMAZING!!! Do you have any ideas on how to make them nut-free? I want to bring them to my daughter's preschool group. I was thinking maybe coconut butter (manna) with a little flax meal or shredded coconut?

    Thanks again for all you share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really really great. I am so glad they don't require a food processor (since at my current location I don't have one). I could have all the ingredients on hand if I plan ahead with the carrots. Great recipe. Will do and I am printing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrot cake and chocolate combined is one of my favorites, and in raw cake ball form, outstanding! You better believe I'll be making some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these look delicious! I had just been talking about Carrot Cake Larabars, but these look and sound like just the ticket. Hopefully I can try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look scrumptious. Making them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. just love this recipe! already made an half batch and already ate it all... ops :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm these look delicious!! These are going to make my detox diet a whole lot more enjoyable. Can't wait to make them and post them on my bloggy. :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these for Easter. I liked them, but they had enough of a health-food-taste for me to only want one (I've been TF for years and on GAPS for eight months, so I AM accustomed to less-sweet foods). But, as a chocaholic, that might not be such a bad thing! LOL! I do think I may have used an apple that wasn't so tart, and the only nut butter I had was peanut, so maybe that threw it off...

    I do love, love, love the chocolate sauce. I have already discovered that it is divine with nut butter, and SIL and I are planning to use it for chocolate-covered bananas this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thats hard to say, peoples taste very so much. I have served mine to people who only eat refined foods and they rave about them. I made them for an a kids b-day party once and the went over great! So maybe the peanut butter. I would never use peanut butter because the taste is too much like 'legumes'.I also always serve them frozen. At the same time we are talking about a raw cake ball. My kids adore these though so they are a staple at our house.

      Delete
  13. These were so good! What a brilliant idea. They will be my new go-to dessert. I used pecans as my nut-of-choice and didn't add nut butter or honey. I also go lazy and melted Enjoy Life chocolate morsels for the "frosting". I kept thinking: is this really juicer pulp?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for this recipe! I really wasn't so sure about it at first, but after the first batch was made and eaten up, I realized this recipe was a keeper :-)
    I just wanted to add my one idea to it... I grated the carrot and apple the first time, but that is what took the most time. I used my little food processor the second time and they turned out just as great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are the raisins absolutely necessary? Reminds me a bit too much of carrot-raisin salad, the most confounding of the school lunch side dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness!!! DELICIOUS!!! I tasted two while rolling them... I couldn't help it. Thank you for sharing this awesome treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm licking the screen. HAVE to make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How many would you say these make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amounts will vary, depending on ingredients and the size of cake ball you make. But I usually end up with about 1 dozen. Sometimes more.

      Delete
    2. Awesome--thanks!

      Delete
  19. I stumbled upon this recipe on pinterest.. OH MAN! I have some carrots that are sorta going south and a hankering for carrot cake. Perfect combo! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. when the recipe says raw cocoa, is that powder?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yes these are truly very delicious, my daughter found this recipe a few months ago and has been making them for our gluten free family thank you ever so kindly for this delightful treat Lisette

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made these tonight and we loved them so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can you post the old "pulp addicted" carrot cake balls? My son loves them and I juice daily so these are a great way to not let the pulp go to waste. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are essentially the same. Pulp tends to be more dry depending on our juicer and you may need to add extra liquid or nut butter to taste.

      Delete
    2. What amount of pulp did you recommend in the original recipe? I thought it said something about the number of apples and carrots to use for the pulp.

      Delete
    3. It's the same. Either way it's pulp, just one is made by squeezing the juice out by hand the other is with a juicer. The recipes are the same only I list both ways as options as I find there is more flavor making the pulp by hand. If you feel like it needs more or less, then feel free to modify. Cake balls like this aren't a science so much. Going by feel is best.

      Delete
  24. Do you know where I can find a clean organic source for those dried currants? I will use raisins for this recipe but have been searching a long time to find a recommended organic source for those hard to find dried currants....

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis