Friday, March 23, 2012

Arugula Blood Orange Salad & Blood Orange Poppy Seed Dressing



Continuing with our wonderful foray into Raw foods this month, I present to you the most natural of all RAW foods...The SALAD! I have to admit, I never really did like salad much in my younger years. Perhaps I was just never offered a salad worthy of my love, or maybe I  just had yet to develop the 'taste' for it. 

Present day  though, I LOVE salad. I'll eat it just about anyway I can get it. There are so many wonderful leafy greens to choose from in an array of flavors ranging from sweet and sharp, to bitter (in a good way) and peppery. Which brings me to 'Arugula'. Arugula is a powerhouse of nutrition. It is a great source of calcium and vitamin A. But it's best trait, is it's wonderful peppery flavor and it pairs beautifully with salty or sweet elements. 

In this recipe, I've paired the arugula with the citrusy & sweet flavor of blood oranges and raw honey. If you find Arugula is a bit too peppery for you on it's own, you can always combine it with other mixed greens, lessening the peppery flavor, while still giving you a nice hint of it.


  • Blood Orange Poppy seed Dressing


  • Arugula Blood Orange Salad & 
  • Blood Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
  • 1/2 cup fresh blood orange juice (with pulp)
  • 1/4 cup raw honey, (palm sugar or agave for vegan) to taste.
  • 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbls finely chopped shallots
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1-2  teaspoon poppy seeds
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

  • For the salad:
  • 4 cups packed pre-washed Arugula (or a mix of other greens)
  • 3-4 blood oranges, cut in slices (instructions on cutting slices HERE)
  • 1/2 cup pecans (optional)
  • 1-2 small shallots or scallions, thinly sliced


  • Directions:

  • To make the dressing, squeeze the juice out of the blood oranges, including as much pulp as possible. (the number of blood oranges will vary depending on the size)

  • Add the orange juice, honey, apple cider vinegar, finely chopped shallots and salt to your blender. Blend till well combined and the shallots are completely pureed.

  • Keep the blender going and slowly pour the olive oil into the mixture. Continue blending till well combined.

  • Pour the dressing into a jar with a lid, add the poppy seeds to the dressing, shake it up and you're done!

  • Store in the refrigerator. Dressing keeps up to 3 days. Shake well before using.

  • For the salad, combine the arugula, orange wedges, pecans and thinly sliced shallots. Toss them till combined. Add the amount of dressing that suits your taste and toss to coat.

6 comments:

  1. looks really YUMMY to me! (minus anything related to an onion or garlic - they hate me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos kill me. Seriously beautiful every time. And this dressing looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! just discovered this blog via pinterest, how nice!
    Great ideas and recipes I'll definitely be back soon!
    I love to combine argula with fruits too(we call it rucola, here in Italy) I usually have an argula+nectarine+ raisins salad in the summer, I have never tried with oranges though, must have a go!
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delish! 1/4 what of olive oil?

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis