Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Honey Sweetened Pumpkin Butter






Pumpkin butter is a great, healthy, sweet treat! Rich in anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E, it is also a great source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
Enjoy it as a spread for muffins and bread or as a topping/filling for cakes and tarts. You can even add it to recipes, like you would apple sauce or just eat it straight up. No matter how you eat it, you will love it!






Honey Sweetened Pumpkin Butter

Ingredients:
2 cups pureed, cooked pumpkin
1/2 cup honey/agave
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix all ingredients in saucepan and simmer over low heat 35-40 minutes, until thick (like stiff apple butter).  Stir frequently, or it will burn.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, that looks amazing! I just picked up ingredients to make fermented apple butter today but now I wish I'd gotten pumpkin instead!! Please tell me those crackers are GAPS friendly. I NEED a good cracker recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great; I'm definitely going to try it after Halloween when all the pumpkins are on sale. But maybe you could add the honey after it's all cooked and cooled a bit? Because if you heat honey it kills all the beneficial enzymes. Assuming you're using raw honey? Hmm, maple syrup might be a good substitute too??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why wait for the pumpkins to go on sale? The canned organic, or regular Libby's brand is already ready, has the same benefits, and 'no muss, no fuss'! I use it all through the year to make cakes, nut breads, and cookies with. Just exchange pumpkin for the oil in a box mix (or use applesauce).
      The pumpkins that are in the "Pumpkin Patches" that are for sale to use for Jack-o-lanterns have been picked for months, and most are on their way out of date. As for sweetening with raw honey or syrup, give Organic Agave Amber Nectar!! It is amazing!!!

      Delete
  3. Cooking the honey with the pumpkin is what gives pumpkin butter it's texture and yes maple syrup would work we'll too. I'm not worried to much about the enzymes lost. I get plenty of that in my diet everyday. I use honey because it is one of the few sweeteners I can tolerate. All my treats are sweetened with honey whether baked, cooked or raw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going around facebook and everyone wants to know about the cracker recipe! Can you please share it? Love to have you as a friend at healthyraw foodie on facebook! You can post it to my wall if you like! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis