Apple, Ginger and Spice Scones W/Vanilla Glaze
For the scones:
3 cups blanched almond flour
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 cup finely chopped tart apples
3 tablespoons Honey
1 tablespoon grated ginger (or tubed ginger)*
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
*Most often you can find pre-grated tubed ginger in the produce section of your local supermarket. I LOVE this stuff.
For the glaze:
1/3 cup warmed coconut butter, should be pourable (I like Artistana)
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons GF vanilla extract
1/2 vanilla pod scraped(optional)
1-2 tablespoons filtered water
More filtered water as needed
(Note: It is important to warm and stir coconut butter when opening a new jar. The coconut oil on the top needs to be mixed into the 'butter' in order to get a nice consistency)
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
2. Add the apples and toss the pieces in the mixture, costing them with the flour. In a smaller bowl, combine honey, ginger, vinegar and egg.
3. Mix the wet ingredients into dry. Lightly knead the dough till just combined.
45. Form the dough into 2 balls, shaping them so that each one is about 1 inch thick.
Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Using a thin metal baking spatula, transfer each scone to parchment paper lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake in a 375 degree oven on double baking sheets(so the bottoms won't burn). Bake for 10-15 min or till lightly browned. Baking temps may vary depending on the oven.
6. For the glaze, in a small bowl, mix all the coconut butter and the honey till it forms a thick paste
7. Now add the vanilla and 1-2 tablespoons of water (if needed, add more water till a smooth, glossy consistency is achieved.) The glaze should be thick enough that it's opaque but thin enough that it drizzles down the sides of the scone.
8. Use a spoon or squeeze bottle to drizzle over cooled scones.